Toll Free: 1-855-822-7693

Mold spores are always in the air, indoors and out. It’s when it starts to grow that it becomes a problem, which can play a big part in causing respiratory problems and other health issues in the long run. This article is going to mention a few ways on how to clean mold the eco-friendly way.

People who are sensitive or allergic to mold are especially at risk. These people are susceptible to things like itchy eyes, runny nose, wheezing and headaches. Mold can trigger asthma attacks for people with asthma or even cause the development of asthma itself.

So if you find mold growth in your home, you’re going to want to get rid of it sooner rather than later. Instead of using your average cleaning products with harsh chemicals in them, there are many household eco-friendly solutions that can work just as well.

One of those solutions is, as mentioned a few times in our blog posts – vinegar. It’s cheap and non-toxic and simply gets the job done. Spray it on the mold and let it sit for a few hours and wipe it clean with a rag or sponge. Vinegar has a strong smell, but will fade after a while. If the smell bothers you, add some drops of an essential oil like lavender to make it more appealing. Some essential oils actually have bacteria-killing properties in them. Grapefruit seed extract is one of them, which is also an antifungal agent.

Another solution is baking soda. Mix it with vinegar or water to make a paste and spread it on the mold. Let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes and wipe clean.

Thirdly, Try using hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is used all the time as a disinfectant. Spray it on the mold and let it sit for an hour for maximum results and wipe it up.

Soaking the mold with one of these solutions is important in preventing mold spores from getting into the air, which can just make matters worse. If the mold is excessive, a sergical mask is recommended while cleaning.

Lastly, if you can’t see mold but think it may be somewhere in your house, or if it’s a really big case of mold build up, don’t be afraid to call in a professional service. Some things are better left to the pro’s!